Dear Evil Skippy:
My supervisor is a T.V. addict and he constantly compares our workplace to different shows. One of his favorite “learning tools” is to compare what we do to what happened on a particular program to point out how we can do it better. He’s used “Game of Thrones” and even “The Walking Dead”. Most of his examples don’t make sense and waste a lot of meeting time. Do you think it is possible to make him stop?
Why stop him when you can beat him at his own game? Tell him you want to model your workplace on Survivor. When he asks why, give him one or more of my top ten reasons, below.
— Evil Skippy
Evil Skippy’s Top Ten Ways Work Should Be Like ‘Survivor’
- All sensitive conversations would be conducted while soaking in the clear water of a blue lagoon. #businesscasual
- The majority can vote the most irritating member of the team off the island. #blindside
- Immunity Idols, especially during layoff season. #ohnoyoudon’t
- Instead of meetings, councils are held by firelight in the pouring rain and accompanied by hungry, blood-sucking insects. That should keep them short. (I mean actual insects and not middle managers). “meetingssuck
- It’s O.K. to take naps while someone else does all the work because you are saving your strength for important projects. #slacker
- Lax dress codes. (This could have a huge downside, of course, depending on what your co-workers look like). #ewwww
- It’s not harassment to carry a torch. Whoops. Maybe not this one. #notyourgrandmastiki
- Easy documentation, thanks to all the cameras. #footinmouth
- Never again being annoyed because someone left wet paper towels all over the bathroom. #noplumbing
- No more awkward hygiene talks — because everyonestinks. #superfund
Jim is available to speak at your conferences and seminars! For information (or to send a question for Evil Skippy to answer), use the “Contact” link on the left sidebar. Please follow us on Twitter @JimWebberLOL.