In your infinite wisdom, what is the key to having a great workplace?
– Evil Skippy
“Infinite wisdom”? Seriously??
Technically, Evil Skippy is right. He’s just not particularly helpful. To make workplaces the best workplaces that they can be, everyone should always remember these ten things:
- Just because you think it does not mean you need to say it.
- “Meaningful glances”, “serious looks” and other adjectivally-enhanced facial expressions are not effective communication tools.
- What you have for lunch can have a lasting impact in many ways. Don’t microwave old fish or be without a breath-cleansing plan.
- Deodorant is everyone’s friend. Heavy perfumes are not.
- The employee who sells the fund-raising cookies/gift wrap/whatever to co-workers today must buy from co-workers tomorrow.
- No one else is as interested in your pet or baby as much as you think they should be, mainly because your pet or baby is not all that interesting. (By the way, today’s cover art is a photo of Sadie the Wonder Dog.)
- You don’t have to respect all of your co-workers, but you do have to behave respectfully toward them.
- Anything said before the word “but” in a sentence does not count. (Such as, “I don’t mean to offend you, but . . .”)
- There are no magic elves who clean up your kitchen or other messes, so do it yourself.
- Bomb threats are never a good prank.
Dearest Readers – what would you add to the list?