Dear Evil Skippy:
I am about to start looking for a new job. What is the biggest mistake you have seen a candidate make during an interview?
P.S. People usually ask for tips about doing well, but not you. What are you planning? To make mistakes? If so, here’s a bucket list.
Ten Top Interview Mistakes
(As seen by Evil Skippy and/or Jim)
1. Attempted to strangle the interviewer. (See The Day Evil Skippy Nearly Died)
2. Offered the interviewer a $10 bribe (when the going rate was around $25).
3. Announced while listing accomplishments that he had never been cautioned about touching people other than that “one time”.
4. Asked the interviewer if it is true that Seattle is a gay city because he did not want to live near a bunch of queers. (The interviewer who happened to be gay had not announced this information to the applicant for some reason).
5. Came to the interview estimating she could make it through the process while knowing that she had started to have labor pains. She estimated incorrectly.
6. When asked where he thought he would be in two years, replied “Jail.”
7. Promised that if he was hired he would not file a lawsuit “no matter what”.
8. Confessed mid-interview that she was nervous because she had forgotten to wear underwear.
9. Told the interviewer that interviewing any other applicants would not be necessary because God had revealed he would be getting an offer.
10. Answered his cell phone and said, “Sure, I can talk now. What’s up?”
Jim is available to speak at your conferences and seminars! For information (or to send a question for Evil Skippy to answer), use the “Contact” link on the left sidebar. Please follow us on Twitter @JimWebberLOL.