My parents moved to the United States from Iran in 1977. I was born in the U.S. and served in the U.S. Army. I currently work in sales for a large pharmaceutical company. This week, my boss removed me from an international business trip and assigned one of my co-workers to handle the work. When I asked why, he said it is because he was afraid I would have trouble returning to the country due to the executive order/travel ban. I explained that I would not be affected — I have a U.S. Passport and am not covered by the ban. My boss responded, “Better safe than sorry. I would hate it if you could not get back to your family.”
I reported this to upper management and they are handling the situation to my satisfaction. I am curious though — what would you have said to my boss if you had been me?
I could not stop at just one thing, so here is the first Evil Skippy Top Ten of 2017.
The Top Ten Things To Say When Your Boss Bans You From Foreign Travel
- “You would not say that if you knew my family.”
- “I better start working from home effective immediately since so many people die on the road while commuting. Better safe than sorry.”
- “Would you please say that again so I can record it for Human Resources? That way we can skip the investigation part.
- [Look back and forth and up and down until your boss asks what you’re doing] “I know you are not stupid enough to say what you just said, so there must be a hidden camera somewhere.”
- “Before you get yourself and the company sued for national origin discrimination, perhaps you should stop being a manager. You know, ‘Better safe than sorry’.
- “Which part of ‘I am a U.S. citizen’ are you having trouble wrapping your brain around?”
- “Your concern for my family’s welfare is nice. Your understanding of the Constitution needs some work.”
- “Let me call my platoon sergeant and a few of my Army buddies and have them come here for a little chat with you.”
- “How long have you been practicing Alternative Management?”
- “Safe is for losers. You of all people should know that.”
Choose one, choose them all. Happy travels.
— Evil Skippy