Some of my employees have switched to E-cigarettes. It makes the area where they take their smoking breaks more pleasant because there is no longer a toxic cloud hanging at face level, but now I wonder if some of these people are actually using the devices to smoke marijuana. There is not much of a scent so it is hard to tell for sure. Do you know of any way for me to know for certain if these are tobacco or marijuana breaks?
There are lots of ways. Ten in fact.
Evil Skippy’s Top Ten Signs That Employees Are Smoking Pot At Work
- The breaks always start at 4:20.
- All the snacks vanish from the vending machine, even the weird ones no one usually buys.
- Five employees; one smoking device.
- Whenever anyone talks about needing more smoking supplies, you never hear them mention a store. It’s always a “clinic” or “dispensary”.
- The smokers pass eye drops around before returning to work.
- The quiet and shy employees become outgoing and hysterical – especially to themselves.
- Unexplained contentment, often associated with spontaneous face-plant desk naps.
- If you break open a box of Thin Mints, there is a stampede. (This sign is not always reliable. Stone-cold sober people will often stampede for Thin Mints.)
- Sudden interest in the works of Harold and Kumar or Cheech and Chong.
— Evil Skippy
If employees act impaired at work, implement your company’s usual procedure regarding alcohol or drug use. Focus on conduct – not mere suspicions. You have to be attentive to keep the workplace safe, especially if employees are driving or operating heavy machinery as part of their jobs.
You can find (and “like”) “Evil Skippy at Work” on Facebook and also follow ES on Twitter (@EvilSkippySays).
Evil Skippy and/or Jim are available to speak at your conferences and seminars! For information or to send a question for Evil Skippy to answer, contact us at: